Sunday, February 15, 2009

12...Racial Profiling

A quick note.

I got racially profiled last night at MacLaren's, a poolhall/bar on Elgin Street in Ottawa.

I was, and this is relevant, on my way back from the U of Ottawa/Queen's basketball game, wearing a Syracuse hoodie, a 'cuse hat, watching Nate Robinson win the NBA All Star game dunk contest when it happened.

I was talking to this East African man, I will call him Jamal [because that is what his name is] about the dunks, the green uni Mr. Robinson was wearing, whether the Raptors will ever go deep in the playoffs, trying to sell him on going to see U of Ottawa play Carleton next Saturday at the U of Ottawa and on and on and on while watching the dunk competition. Not a lick of ice in my field of vision.

And then it happened.

He asked me, no, he told me, told me, right out of the blue that he didn't understand or care much for hockey but I obviously was a big hockey fan ['cause I am a middle aged White guy] and that was the end of that.

The knife cuts both ways.

Pretty Darn Strange, eh?

WFDS

No comments:

Post a Comment