Wednesday, May 27, 2009

154...How Insane Is Steven Harper?

First off, I like the United States, most Americans, even Rush Limbaugh has his moments.

But, there is a lot of stuff wrong with the States and one of the big things wrong with the US of A is mandatory sentencing. Judges should be given discretion; the law in my view should not be a club to hammer people with. Mandatory sentencing laws, like the ones in respect to marijuana that have passed second reading in the House of Commons, repute said discretion.

Sadly, my party, the Liberal Party of Canada, is going to support said laws because they don't want to seem soft on crime.

Please, explain to me how sending a university freshman to jail for a year for growing [most likely ineptly] a pot plant in his closet makes one a crime fighter?

In fact it is the opposite; if people grow their own then they won't be buying, and supporting financially, from the bigger boys, i.e. Les Hells, who allegedly are involved in major grow operations and have franchised their distribution networks down to the street and bar level dealers.

Time to take a stand Mikey I.

WFDS

1 comment:

  1. Mandatory minimums are a hobby horse I ride quite frequently too.

    My latest on the issue is here, (meet a crack cocaine addicted criminal who isn't deterred in the least by these tougher sentences)

    http://bit.ly/A3woY

    ReplyDelete