Wednesday, May 19, 2010

2324...Re Larry O'Brien Mayor Of Ottawa

Re my previous takes on Mr. O'Brien.

1. To win he has to run.

2. To win he has to have two credible candidates from centre left; Alex Cullen does not fit that bill.

3. I think he will run. I believe that he likes being a celebrity and that is what the mayor is.

4. Don't underestimate the power of being an incumbent. Mayor O'Brien wants in the paper/on radio/on TV it happens.


I believe that the universe, the amount of votes available, is about 300,000. It is my opinion that if Hizzoner runs he has 100,000 of those in the bag. If you don't believe me, listen to Lowell Green on CFRA. Virtually everyone over the age of 50 in Ottawa, like 90 per cent, will vote for Mr. O'Brien.

Fact is, if he runs and wins it will be another four crappy years for the capital. And don't forget the mayor of Gatineau, Marc Bureau, is not a superstar either.

If Ottawa had of voted in either Alex Munter or Bob Chiarelli last time we would have some sort of a rapid transit system. Under Mayor O'Brien we just paid for the train. Didn't get it though.

I am not cheering for him, in fact Jim Watson is my choice and I sincerely hope he is mayor for the next quarter century.

But I am pragmatic too.

And worried.

Ottawa is, to put it politely, a mess and four more years of Larry O'Brien is not going to help.

WFDS

No comments:

Post a Comment