Monday, May 31, 2010

2404...Well That Settles That

In WFDS Post 2390...I reported about the actions of Tony Clement, the Honourable Tony Clement, who was doing infomericals for some folks in his riding.

To wit 'twas, quoting my own bad self, an "...2008 promotion video for Lord and Partners, which produces environmentally friendly cleaning products. Mr. Clement identifies himself as Minister of Health in the video, and extends greetings to the people of China '...on behalf of myself and the government of Canada...'”

In today's Winnipeg Free Press he clears the whole misunderstanding up.

''I'm doing my job, doing my job as a cabinet minister, doing my job as an MP,'' he said. ''Every day of the week, cabinet ministers and MPs do or should be promoting business for this country.'' ''Jean Chretien made a career of it, towing along 100 or 200 business people on his Team Canada tours to Russia or China.'' He said the only problem would be if he had a financial interest in the firm or if the company was a financial supporter. ''Neither of which was true.''


He left this out though: As industry minister, Mr. Clement subsequently appointed the producer of the video, longtime supporter George Young, to the Canadian Tourism Commission. And Lord and Partners this year received three federal contracts, worth a total of $41,000.

Besides that, perfectly ethical.

WFDS

1 comment:

  1. So Ministers of the Crown should actively be promoting private companies at the expense of other competitors?

    Oh I see, Tony. Thanks for clearing that up.

    ReplyDelete