Thursday, September 2, 2010

2820...I May Have Spoken Too Soon

Turns out Stephen Harper may be helping rich men get toys to play with.

In WFDS Post 2813...What I Like About You I gave props to our beloved leader for, sort of, putting the kibosh on giving Regina a ton of dough for a retractable roof stadium for the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. I also suggested that the Sask government look south to the Dakotas and find out how to build a great dome for less like the Dakota Dome or, I find out later, the shed that they threw up for cheap in Grand Forks.

Now I read in The Leader-Post, Regina's paper of record, that "Prime Minister Stephen Harper briefly addressed the potential return of the NHL to Quebec City Wednesday. Harper...was asked about a possible return of the Nordiques. 'I hope that we'll see the Nordiques return,' Harper said in French. 'We have discussed this with (Quebec Mayor Regis Labeaume) and we will continue those discussions.'"

Say it ain't so.

If the 'diques and the Jets are so viable then private money should step up to the plate and make it happen.

And, remember, in the NHL, as in real estate, there are three key elements to a successful franchise: location, location, location.

WFDS

No comments:

Post a Comment