Monday, July 4, 2011

3898...Warren Kinsella On Ignatieff

Warren Kinsella had a nice piece in his blog about Michael Ignatieff and how he just doesn't get it.

It being the fact that the Tories defined him as just visiting. Mr. Kinsella writes:

“They’re not trying to say you’re an American, or that it’s bad to be American,” I said to him. “The point of their ads, Michael, is that you’re not ‘just visiting’ Canada — you’re ‘just visiting’ Earth. They’re trying to suggest that you’ve never been on public transit, or worried about a mortgage payment, or lost a job. They’re trying to say you don’t understand the reality of the average Canadian’s life.” He disagreed with our suggestion that we fight fire with fire, as was his prerogative, and that was that. I went back to the real world in Toronto and, a few months later, he did likewise.


I must tell you that it is my view that most people in the federal Libs think I am a bit slow because I don't group think. To that end I will tell you that when I was with Bob Rae during leadership I wanted to have him say that "Michael Ignatieff loved Canada so much he left for thirty years just to make sure he loved it."

No go.

I also wanted to turn up the heat just a bit by painting him as an adulterer. Now don't get me wrong, I am not anti adultery, in fact, on a personal level, I am a fan but the 27 per cent of Canadians who go to church every Sunday not so much. The dudes wives overlap.

Pointe finale: let me tell you when I knew he was toast. I was at a bar called Pub Italia and Iggy and the wife rolled in to a young Liberal thing and I knew it was over. He was trying to be one of us, one of the regular people. He was wearing a Tommy Hilfiger shirt, plaid, very street and a pair of jeans. Pressed. Pressed blue jeans. I told the politico I was with that it was over at that moment and it was.

We have had patricians like Mr. Iggy run this country and other countries before. Pierre Elliot Trudeau and JFK come to mind. But they did not pretend to be what they were not. Mr. Trudeau used to bomb around Ottawa in a vintage Benz; JFK and clan played touch football on the lawn of the family mansion; Iggy pressed his jeans.

WFDS

No comments:

Post a Comment