Monday, April 29, 2013

5927...First Gay Male Pro Athlete Comes Out

Sure there have been a lot of gay women athletes, the most recent to come out being the best woman player of this era, Britney Griner ex of Baylor and now with the Phoenix Mercury.  Men that have come out have been few, retired, and none active.

Til today.

Sports Illustrated breaks with the story that Jason Collins, an 11 year journeyman centre in the NBA has come out.  "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."  Tina Fey would call him a two-fer.  "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different.' If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."

153856683
He played at Stanford with his brother Jarron Collins who is also an NBA vet.  Wait, Stanford?  That makes him a three-fer in Tina Fey speak.  "I didn't come out to my brother until last summer. His reaction to my breakfast revelation was radically different from Aunt Teri's. He was downright astounded. He never suspected. So much for twin telepathy. But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me."

Now all Mr. Jason Collins has to worry about is the curse of Sports Illustrated.

WFDS 

No comments:

Post a Comment